
I just had the most inspiring time this weekend and had to share...
My nephew Jared S. Newman, Jr. (but forever 'Jad' to me) graduated Summa Cum Laude from The Citadel! I missed the parade on Friday and seeing him in all his Summerall Guard glory, but I was there on Saturday to see him get his diploma, smile when he saw me in the crowd of family and share in more than just a few moments of reflection and bitter sweetness . It truly seems like just yesterday my sister Donna came to our childhood home on Blossom Street to tell the CARFAM that she was pregnant and I rubbed her already aching feet.
Over the years, I have been blessed to witness and be a part of Jad's life...first babysitting, feeding him, diapering his bottom, watching him sleep with that monitor on his chest. Then as I became an adult, taking him to school, playing with him and his brother in the Rose Hill pool, exposing him to quality movies like 'The Princess Bride'. Next, watching him from afar as he grew into a young man, hearing proud stories from his Mom about his accomplishments. Wasn't it a minute ago that he graduated from High School?
His college career at The Citadel was a tremendous four years of exceeding one goal after the other. (Check out my sister's photo blog to catch all his accolades.) So, I am happy for him and all that he has accomplished. But more so than that...I am proud of him and his confidence in himself, his open mind, his clever sense of humor and his love of life. How often can an Aunt say that even if she wasn't related to her nephew, she would still adore him and enjoy being his friend? Well, I happily admit that I can say that and more. I am one lucky woman!
[Jad, if you are reading this, know that I love you and you (and Whitney Lane should you wish) can come geek-out on music with me and Meech anytime in SAV. And #2, if you are reading this, know that as a Mom, I have nothing but respect for your parenting and love for you and your family! Whew -- you did it!]
No comments:
Post a Comment